A Spirit-Led Life
What does living a Spirit-led life look like?
- We listen and obey, and we obey out of a relationship. Christians can’t be Spirit lead if they don’t have a relationship with the Holy Spirit. (“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27)
- In order to be Spirit-led, we need to surrender. The Holy Spirit leads, we follow.
- People who are not Spirit-led because they have a shallow relationship with the Holy Spirit. There are areas of sin they haven’t surrendered.
What is to “surrender”?
- Surrender is obedience regardless of whether you understand or not. It is to give up your way of doing things and taking up God’s way of doing things. It is a lifetime of submission.
- You can’t surrender when you have a divided heart when you’re one foot in and one out.
- Jesus can be your savior, but not your Lord. He becomes your Lord when you surrender and give up your will. (Savior = I receive him; Lord = I surrender)
Six Keys to know when it’s the Holy Spirit’s voice:
- You need to know the Word: you won’t know how to hear his voice because you don’t know his voice. The Word (the Bible) is his voice. The more time spent in the word, the easier it is to hear him. The more time spent, your thoughts will sound more like scripture. Doesn’t happen over time, it takes time. Romans 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is his good, pleasing and perfect will.” With the renewal of your mind, your thoughts begin aligning with God’s.
- We must surrender our will: allow the Holy Spirit to be the leader and you become the follower.
- Delight yourself in the lord: Delight first because his heart will become our heart. “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4 it’s not that He will give you what you want, but rather he will place His desires in your heart; he will give you the desires that should be in your heart.
- Check your motives: “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?” Jeremiah 17:9 Check why you want to do it. If it’s not for the kingdom and for others, it’s building on self.
- Does it line up with Scripture? The Holy Spirit will NEVER lead you to sin. Don’t manipulate God’s text.
- Take a step of faith: if it checks the previous 5 boxes, trust it is the Holy Spirit speaking. God doesn’t tease us, he wants to co-labor with us. Our heart should be fully tethered to His heart.
Please follow and like us: